With Weidman hurt, Romero returning from doping issue, 'Jacare' sees himself as next opposition
Ronaldo Souza s (23-4 MMA, 6-1 UFC) much-requested title shot came close to happening last week, when a neck injury eliminated Chris Weidman (13-1 MMA, 9-1 UFC) from his UFC 199 matchup against champ Luke Rockhold (15-2 MMA, 5-1 UFC).
According to UFC President Dana White, Jacare was the very first option to fill in for the original competitor but, with an injured knee himself, the Brazilian middleweight had to decrease.
Currently recuperating from surgical treatment, Souza strengthened throughout an involvement in Brazilian TV channel Combate’s Revista Combate that he has no doubts about his contender status.
The UFC hasn’t stated anything about a shot now, but I’m really confident, Souza said.
I put on t believe there are any other options for the UFC. I’ve earned my shot. Weidman is injured and will just begin training once again at the end of the year. (Yoel) Romero has the doping problem. It’s Ronaldo Jacare. There’s no other option.
Souza injured his meniscus one week prior to his first-round TKO win over Vitor Belfort at UFC 198 earlier this month. In order to make it to the octagon then, Souza described, he just didn’t train for the seven-day period leading up to it.
It was just two days after winning exactly what he called the most important fight of his career that he did an MRI to evaluate the damage.
I did an MRI on the 16th (of May) and on the 17th I got the call from the UFC, Souza described. I understood I couldn’t accept it without seeing the outcomes, that I called the black box.'.
In spite of barely being able to stroll by the time he got the title call, Souza confessed he still quickly considered taking the battle.
Souza recalled. I said, what if I take the same medication I took for the Belfort fight?
And after that a yellow light brightened. I didn’t wish to come home to my three kids using crutches. Health precedes. My dedication was with UFC 198, and I was there. My next one will be for the belt.
Following a clean, easy surgical treatment on May 19, the Brazilian middleweight wish to return to the gym in 20 days. The concept is an October or September octagon return.
Plainly, Souza s intent is to combat the champion next. Who that will be, however, depends upon the result of UFC 199 s headliner, when replacement opponent Michael Bisping will aim to topple 185-pound authority Rockhold.
Most likely, it’s going to be Rockhold, Souza analyzed. Rockhold will most likely win, by means of knockout.
UFC 199 happens June 4 at The Forum in Inglewood, Calif. The main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass.
If Souza s predictions turn out to be real, it will be his chance to avenge the 2011 unanimous-decision loss to Rockhold that cost the Brazilian jiu-jitsu specialist the Strikeforce middleweight title in a razor-thin decision. It’s a rematch Jacare hopes will come to fulfillment.
I’m all set to beat Rockhold, Souza said. He understands he didn’t actually beat me. A couple of may not believe it, however when the time comes I’ll show why the belt is mine why it ought to have never left me when I remained in Strikeforce.